Old 06-22-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
Jake Holland
Human being with feelings

Default Varispeed effect in Reaper

Varispeed is an effect I use a lot of. It's like a tape machine where after making a recording at normal speed you then slow down the tape machine's speed and the pitch of the playback material also drops proportionally and in relationship with how much you slow down the tape.

I see that Reaper has pitch shifting plug-ins and time shifting/stretching capabilities but what I want is Varispeed type of control where you can set it up to behave exactly like a tape machine where the pitch will drop in relation and accordance to how much you time stretch or rather slow down your audio.

I want to process the audio this way, not just slide the playback speed slider in the transport. I want to print a new file from the original that is Varisped slower but have the session playing at it's normal speed.

In Pro Tools you can use Serato Pitch n' Time to do this

In Samplitude you can use the "object" editor timstretching features which include the option to use the timestretching where the pitch follows the timestretching length with the same relationship as tape Varispeed.

I want to record my drums, pick two bars, varispeed them down, create a new tempo map out of that varisped item and create the rest of my song on that grid.

Anybody know how to do this in Reaper?
Jake Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
d. gauss

render out the items at the changed playback speed and import the new files into the project, then return playback to normal.
d. gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:17 PM   #3
Justin
Administrator

Simply alt+drag item edges and they will stretch. If you want the pitch to not be preserved during this stretch, then you can uncheck item properties, "preserve pitch when changing playrate" etc..

Then if you really want to have the samplerate conversion not done on the fly, you can glue or render a new take.

Alternatively you can just flick the master speed up to 2x, record, then restore it to 1x and your recorded tracks will be half speed, etc..

Last edited by Justin; 06-22-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:27 PM   #4
KinonMusic

Default Varispeed

If I'm not mistaken, while the solutions that d.gauss and Justin describe can give an effect of a new playrate that has changed instantly to a constant new rate, what Jake wants to do is have the audio sound as if a tape has gradually slowed, producing an effect of pitch and tempo gradually dropping over time. Am I right Jake?

This is a cool effect, and producers ask for it from time to time. I'd love to know how to do it in Reaper too!
KinonMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
Diogenes

Quote:
This is a cool effect, and producers ask for it from time to time. I'd love to know how to do it in Reaper too!
Make the Master Track visible in the TCP and draw an automation curve for playback speed. I used this effect several times. It is a cool effect for some songs.

D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:38 AM   #6
vocalnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
Make the Master Track visible in the TCP and draw an automation curve for playback speed. I used this effect several times. It is a cool effect for some songs.

D
I know I could try this myself, but I'm not at my DAW presently, and I'd love to know the answer.

Does this work in record mode?

Can I draw a play speed envelope, record a take, then remove the envelope and have the take behave the same way as it would have if I'd done a varispeed move on a tape machine?

And if not... could it?
vocalnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:29 AM   #7
technogremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinonMusic View Post
what Jake wants to do is have the audio sound as if a tape has gradually slowed, producing an effect of pitch and tempo gradually dropping over time. Am I right Jake?
In that case, there's a free VST-fx called Tapestop:

http://hem.bredband.net/tbtaudio/

It's at the bottom of the page
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:44 PM   #8
Jake Holland

Default Best sound quality with least amount of artifacts

Justin and other wonderful reapers,

Which method will give the best sound quality after you do the process?

1. Recording at a faster session rate and then slowing it down

2. Timestretching by dragging the item out wile having the option selected to have the pitch change with the time

3. Using a plug-in that will slow down and detune the pitch (which plug-in built into Reaper does this?)
Old 06-23-2008, 06:48 PM   #9
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Holland View Post
Justin and other wonderful reapers,

Which method will give the best sound quality after you do the process?

1. Recording at a faster session rate and then slowing it down

2. Timestretching by dragging the item out wile having the option selected to have the pitch change with the time

3. Using a plug-in that will slow down and detune the pitch (which plug-in built into Reaper does this?)
Number 1 and 2 are effectively the same. The quality of these is determined by the samplerate conversion mode in the project settings.

No VST plug-ins included with REAPER do this, but if you use other plug-ins to do offline conversion, their quality will vary -- some better, some worse. If you use the better quality sinc interpolation modes in REAPER the quality should be pretty damn good IMO

-Justin
Old 06-23-2008, 07:09 PM   #10
Diogenes

I'm just trying to dig your thought process here man... I'm not trying to be a jerk... honest!

Quote:
I want to record my drums, pick two bars, varispeed them down, create a new tempo map out of that varisped item and create the rest of my song on that grid.
Why?

Why not play the drums at the correct tempo for two bars in the first place?

D

PS REALLY, Really... just trying to figure out what you're after here... *cowering behind flame-proof shield*
Old 06-23-2008, 10:32 PM   #11
Jake Holland

Just to clear things up...

I am not trying to do that effect where it sounds like you just shut the tape machine's power off and it is gradually slowing down.

I am wanting to varispeed one entire track down so that it plays back exactly a perfect 4th or a perfect 5th from the original key. Exactly that amount as well as the slower speed that goes along with that process.

It's a fixed and constant amount of varispeed that I would like to do.

Justin,

How do get it to slow down to an exact pitch interval in relation to the original recorded file. In Samplitude there is a timestretching dialog that allows you to type in the original pitch say C and then the target pitch...let's say down a perfect 4th to G. The it will calculae for you the percentage that it needs to slow down in order to match that pitch using it's varispeed feature. How is this done in Reaper?

Thanks for all the help man!
Old 06-23-2008, 10:46 PM   #12
Justin
Administrator

There are some actions to adjust item rates in semitone increments... hit ? then type "decrease item rate".. you can bind these to keys if you like.

-Justin
Old 06-24-2008, 04:08 AM   #13
Jake Holland

thanks man,

Are you like the creator of this amazing software? you seem to have all the answers...
Old 06-24-2008, 05:24 AM   #14
hourglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Holland View Post
thanks man,

Are you like the creator of this amazing software? you seem to have all the answers...

err. yes. he is our god.

>> random thoughts about the world, digested into bitesize bloggy chunks
>> doubledotdash!? collective - hear tunes!
hourglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:19 AM   #15
Diogenes

Ah... I see what you are after now Jake.

Thanks for the follow up.

You can read a bit about Justin here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Frankel

D
Old 02-10-2022, 06:34 PM   #16
Friscotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
There are some actions to adjust item rates in semitone increments... hit ? then type "decrease item rate".. you can bind these to keys if you like.

-Justin
Could pitch envelopes included in take envelopes behave as varispeed instead of pitching algorithms which stretch audio ? Ex of use : when editing choir recordings, to alter the pitch smoothly between regions to be slightly retuned thanks to progressive envelopes (varispeed = better sound quality for that use). It is a feature I have been looking for years but no DAW seems to be able to do this.

If not, would this feature be hard to implement ?
Friscotch is offline   Reply With Quote