simple animated screen captures
LICEcap can capture an area of your desktop and save it directly to .GIF (for viewing in web browsers, etc) or .LCF (see below).
LICEcap is an intuitive but flexible application (for Windows and now OSX), that is designed to be
lightweight and function with high performance.
LICEcap is easy to use: view a demo
(output is here
In addition to .GIF, LICEcap supports its own native lossless .LCF file format, which allows for higher compression ratios than .GIF, higher quality (more than 256 colors per frame), and more accurate timestamping. If you record to .LCF, you can play back the .LCF files within REAPER
(and/or use it to convert to .gif or another video format).
LICEcap is GPL free software, each download package includes the source.
Features and options:
- Record directly to .GIF or .LCF.
- Move the screen capture frame while recording.
- Pause and restart recording, with optional inserted text messages.
- Global hotkey (shift+space) to toggle pausing while recording
- Adjustable maximum recording framerate, to allow throttling CPU usage.
- Basic title frame, with or without text.
- Record mouse button presses.
- Display elapsed time in the recording.
- Windows: Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/10 (might work with reduced functionality on older versions)
- OSX: macOS 10.4+ (10.6+ for full feature support), PPC or Intel
- Linux: apparently works with WINE
- A reasonably fast CPU
- A healthy amount of RAM (1GB+, especially when encoding to LCF)
Discuss LICEcap in the Cockos Forums
LICEcap v1.29 for macOS
(Feb 18 2019) (864kb DMG)
LICEcap v1.28 for Windows
- macOS: 64/32-bit Intel UB (removed PPC support), compiled with Xcode8/ICC18
(December 2 2017) (230kb installer)
- new icon (thanks White_Tie!)
- LCF: fix crash when error opening output file
- gif: use WDL_FileWrite to write to disk rather than fopen()/_wfopen(), lock files while writing
Send GPL patches to firstname.lastname@example.org
* Note: inspiration for the image near the top comes from the wonderful ollie